© Andrey Popov / stock.adobe.com
FOSTERING DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION THROUGH COMMUNICATION
Prof. Dr. Sabine Einwiller
About the research project
Title: Let’s talk about Diversity & Inclusion: Fostering an inclusive work environment through communication
Team: Prof. Dr. Sabine Einwiller, Daniel Wolfgruber (University of Vienna)
Project period: February 2020 – December 2021
Companies are expected to promote diversity in their workforce and reflect the multiple backgrounds of society. It poses the question to communications departments: How can corporate communications drive diversity and inclusion in their company? Scientific findings have been scarce. This is why the University of Vienna researched the role of communications in D&I management in cooperation with the Academic Society for Management & Communication.
To promote an inclusive corporate culture, three factors are critical: The commitment of top management, an inclusive leadership style, and open and personal communication. D&I efforts must be perceived as authentic. Only then will they have a positive impact on employee behavior.
“Talking about diversity and inclusion is just a means to an end. Eventually, it’s really about changing people’s mindset.“Professor Sabine Einwiller, University of Vienna
- Why diversity and inclusion matter
- Positive effects of D&I on employees
- What is needed for effective D&I management
- Which communication formats strengthen the sense of inclusion
- How to make employees aware of D&I
- Interview with Katrin Harvey, Ban Ki-Moon Center for Global Citizens
The research project was led by Professor Sabine Einwiller and Daniel Wolfgruber (University of Vienna). The project consists of four modules:
- Literature review on D&I communication: Scientific publications from communication science, management, and organizational studies, business ethics, sociology, as well as practitioner-oriented literature were examined.
- Semi-structured interviews with 84 employees with and without various diversity characteristics in Germany and Austria: The aim was to investigate employees’ experiences gained with D&I-related measures. In addition, it was analyzed to which extent organizational communication on D&I issues impacts the perceived inclusion or exclusion of employees and what types of communication promote a sense of inclusion.
- Online survey of 1,000 employees: The aim was to determine how the company’s approach to D&I issues (handling and communication) impacts employees’ identification with the organization. In addition, the research team investigated how behavior in the workforce changes due to D&I measures.
- Semi-structured interviews with 20 D&I experts in Austria and Germany: To investigate the status quo, we asked about reasons for establishing D&I management, the design and implementation of communication measures, and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.